Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Big Question

I guess the big question about veganism is always "why?" This is a tricky question. Why does anybody follow one moral path or another? I do have solid reasons, but mostly I believe what I believe just because I do.

There is the fact that a vegan diet has a less negative impact on the environment than a traditional diet. Vegetables also take less resources and space to grow than food animals.

There are also studies that show that eating a vegetarian or vegan diet is healthier. From the American Heart Association website:
"Most vegetarian diets are low in or devoid of animal products. They’re also usually lower than nonvegetarian diets in total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer."
Or as a random Vegan on YouTube put it "If you eat meat, you have dead animals rotting in your colon, and there's nothing sexy about that."

For more delightful answers to your questions, see "Steven the Vegan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMpHF2a-IJY

1 comment:

  1. Gotta say, I totally admire you! My boyfriend was a vegetarian for like 7 years and I was for a year myself (though kind of longer, because I still ate chicken but nothing else..) When I told people I was, they only ever said, "Oh! But wherever will you get your protein!" No "good for you's" are anywhere to be seen... Pretty hard to be one when no one supports you :P Sometimes I wish I still was, or even vegan, but it's difficult. Anyways, I think it's great that you are, and admire your devotion :)

    ReplyDelete