Monday, May 31, 2010

The Problem With Going in Public

Last week I attended the post-Symposium dinner. When I first became a vegan, eating in public places like restaurants or hosted dinners could be a pain because of the lack of options for people like me. Now, nearly five years later, things are vastly improved. Often when I will go to dinner with my family, they will comment (always seeming surprised, of course) that my food looks far better than theirs does. Going to this dinner was like going back in time to the dark ages. Usually I can expect to scavenge out a decent dinner at a buffet between some kind of fruit salad and garnish tray. Alas, my old friends were nowhere to be found. I ended up having a pickle, two green olives, and a stale piece of toast for dinner. Who should show up as I am leaving the buffet line but Rachael, asking "Hey, are you some kind of vegetarian?" Yes, yes I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment